Muesli bars are one of the biggest healthy food misconceptions. The supermarket is lined with muesli bars all screaming with health claims about the “healthy whole grains” and nuts, yet they fail to mention the hideous amount of sugar that they contain.
This apricot amaranth bar is inspired from a recipe from the holisticingredient.com.au, with my own twist to it.
The main ingredient in this bar is an ancient seed called amaranth.
The word amaranth means “everlasting” in Greek.
This little seeds contains more protein than any other gluten free grains. The form of protein found in amaranth is relatively absorbable for a plant based protein. Along with protein, amaranth contains decent amounts of calcium, magnesium, lysine and fibre.
Like all grains and seeds, I recommend that you soak them overnight to help reduce enzyme inhibitors and to make them more digestible.
The taste of this apricot amaranth bar reminds a little bit of those white christmas bars made from rice bubbles that we loved as kids. So this is a great one as it, you can see who we could switch up the ingredients a little to make it to suit the festive season.
What is also great about this recipe is that no baking is required. That’s right, mix all the ingredients together and just pop it in the fridge. However due to this, I don’t think this bar would keep it shape in the school lunch box. Keep it for an after school treat.
- • 3 cups amaranth pufffed
- • 1 cup coconut desiccated
- • ⅓ cup apricots sun dried
- • ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- • ¼ cup raw honey
- • ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- • ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- • ¾ cup coconut oil
- • 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan melt the coconut oil, rice malt syrup and honey.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and firmly press the mixture into it. By pressing the mixture as firmly as possible, it will prevent it from crumbling when sliced.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Once set lift the mixture from the tray and slice.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.