Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. There are so many delicious breakfast options to choose from and this Orange Pistachio Granola is a new favourite healthy breakfast.
The supermarket shelves are lined with many delicious looking muesli and granola options. The trap here is that so many are loaded with sugar, both refined sugar directly added, or it is hidden in dried fruit or other forms of ‘healthy sweeteners’ such as honey, rice malt syrup or agave syrup. The other problem with many commercial breakfast sugars is the type of oil that is used to toast them. Many are toasted in vegetable seed oils such as canola or sunflower oil. As I have spoken about many times, these vegetable seed oils are highly refined and are inflammatory to the body.
This Orange Pistachio Granola uses a small amount of honey to add just a touch of sweetness. It is the orange zest, cinnamon and tahini combination that gives this granola the flavour that you crave. We use coconut oil to toast this muesli. Coconut oil is the ideal oil to use when cooking as it can handle high heats without being damaged. It is damaged oils that create inflammation within the body, whereas healthy, undamaged oils are anti-inflammatory to the body.
I usually just sprinkle a handful over organic natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt and top with some fresh or frozen raspberries.
- • 2 cups organic rolled oats
- • ¼ cup coconut flakes
- • ¼ cup pepitas
- • ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- • 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- • ½ cup almonds roughly chopped
- • ¼ cup pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- • zest of 1 orange organic
- • 2 tablespoons tahini
- • 1 teaspoon teaspoon cinnamon
- • ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- • 2 tablespoons raw honey (rice malt or maple syrup for vegan)
- Pre heat the oven to 140°
- Combine all the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl combine the coconut oil, honey and tahini together.
- Stir the coconut oil mixture through the dry mixture until everything is well coated.
- Spread the mixture evenly over a lined baking tray.
- Cook the granola in the oven for around 40 minutes. Stir the mixture every 10 minutes or so to ensure that it cooks evenly. Once it starts to look golden it is ready. Be sure not to let it get too dark or burn.
- Remove the mixture from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Store the granola in an airtight container in the fridge.