For those who enjoy a chicken schnitzel at the pub, I would like to introduce you to your real food version of this classic meal.
In this recipe the traditional breadcrumb has been switched for almond meal. Add in a handful of herbs and some himalayan pink salt to the crumb, and the flavour will be amazing.
I always recommend to use himalayan pink salt or Murray River pink salt as these salts are loaded with minerals and trace elements. 84 to be exact! So toss out that white processed, nutrient empty salt that you have on the table.
So, back to the recipe. This dish is great as a lunch or dinner. You can make a few extra chicken breasts and have them for lunch the next day. I have made a kale and strawberry salad in this dish, but you can make a salad out of any ingredients that you prefer.
- • 350 gm chicken breast free range/organic
- • ½ cup almonds
- • 1 teaspoons lemon zest
- • 1 egg whisked
- • ¼ cup mixed fresh herbs parsley, basil, chives etc
- • 2 cup baby kale leaves
- • ½ punnet strawberries
- • 2 tablepsoons olive oil
- • pinch Himalayan Salt
- • pinch black pepper freshly cracked
- • ½ avocado diced
- Place the almonds in a food processor and pulse until they form a chunky crumble.
- Add the herbs, salt, pepper and lemon zest into the food processor with the almonds. Continue to pulse the mixture until it forms a fine crumb. Scoop the crumb onto a plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large fry pan.
- Whisk the egg in a shallow bowl. Dip the chicken breast into the egg mixture and then into the almond crumb.
- Place the chicken in the heated fry pan.
- Cook the chicken for around 8 minutes on each side. Minimise how many time you turn the chicken as the crumb can easily fall off the chicken.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the frypan and set it aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, toss together the kale, sliced strawberries and avocado. Drizzle the salad with the remaining olive oil. Divide the salad onto the serving bowls.
- Slice the chicken breast into strips and place it on top of the salad.