Creamy Moroccan Stew
- 1 cup 140g raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 2 cups 480ml water
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 celery stalks
- 4 medium carrots
- ¾ cup 140g red split lentils
- 3 cups 720ml vegetable stock
- 4 x 400g canned choppedtomatoes
- 4-6 tsp. Moroccan spice blend of choice
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp. ground pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- lime juice optional
- freshly chopped coriander optional
- Place the cashew into a bowl, cover with water and allow to soak overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to make the soup, drain the cashews and place them into a blender. Add one cup of water and blend until smooth.
- Chop the onions, carrots, and celery and crush the garlic cloves. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable stock in a saucepan and gently sauté the onions, carrots and celery for 2 minutes. Then add in the garlic and stir for a further minute.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, 4 teaspoons of Moroccan spice blend, cayenne pepper, salt, ground pepper, cinnamon, and lentils. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste the stew and add more Moroccan spice blend if needed. Pour the cashew cream into the stew and allow it
- to simmer on low for another 5-10 minutes until the lentils have softened.
- Divide the stew between 4 bowls and serve with a squeezeof lime juice, freshly chopped coriander and tomatoes.