Crispy Chickpea Salad
Salads are great! So easy to make and is a sure fire way to reach your daily intake goals for vegetables. For those who have forgotten, we need to aim for 5-7 serves of vegetables per day.
This is why you need to eat salad everyday.
One serve is equal to about 1/2 cup sized portion. Aim for variety and a rainbow of colours. The different colours of the vegetables skin provides different nutrients and antioxidants. By including a wide variety, you are maximising your range of nutrient intake.
It is so easy to eat the same staple vegetables day in day out. I encourage you to try new recipes, try new vegetables and eat with the seasons. Eating within the season is not only more economical, but it also improves your ability to eat food grown locally and has been picked recently.
This salad is really simple to make and is so fresh and light. Fresh baby cos lettuce is really crispy and will give just the right amount of crunch to this salad. This can be a great side dish to your favourite meat, or it is great on its own when you just want something simple.
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 2 baby Cos Lettuce
- 1/2 avocado
- fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- freshly ground sea salt and pepper.
- Trim the end of the lettuce.
- Gently pull the leaves apart and wash them.
- Drain the chickpeas and give them a quick rinse
- Dice the avocado
- Lay the lettuce leaves out over the plate
- Top with the chickpeas, avocado and mint
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper