I am on a never ending quest to find the perfect grain free muffin recipe. I hate to think about the amount of muffins I have made that have had one bite taken from them before the kids turn up their noses and swiftly toss them in the bin. Kids sure can be hard to please!
These Date and Honey Tea Cakes are amazing! They are moist, sweet and delicate. I have adapted them from a muffin recipe and they seemed much more like a cake than a muffin. These are really easy to make and can be adapted to change the flavour.
You can make this in a loaf tin to make it a slice, or in the muffin cases for individual portions.
These are gluten, grain and dairy free. Just a comment on the apple sauce. You can make your own by stewing apples and then popping them in the blender to puree them. If you are short for time you can buy apple sauce from the supermarket. Just make sure you read the ingredient label and buy one that contains only apples.
Try them out and let me know what you think.
- • 3/4 cup almond meal
- • 1/4 cup coconut flour
- • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- • 3 eggs room temperature
- • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- • 1/4 cup apple sauce sugar free
- • 3 tablespoons raw honey (or rice malt syrup for vegan)
- • 3 medjool dates chopped
- Pre heat the oven to 175°
- Line a muffin tray with paper cases
- In a large bowl mix together the almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, apple sauce and honey. Stir will to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well until there are no lumps.
- Stir through the chopped dates.
- Fill muffin cases 3/4 full.
- Place in the oven and cook for around 30 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean