Spring is in the air and it is time to unwrap the winter woollies to reveal your summer skin. If your skin is looking a little dry and flakey from the cooler winter weather, then this DIY lemon sugar body scrub recipe is just what you are looking for.
Everything that you need for this lemon body scrub should already be in your kitchen pantry and it will only cost a couple of dollars to make a large jar of body scrub. Body scrubs are very easy and inexpensive to make, saving you money on your skin care budget.
DIY Lemon Sugar Body Scrub Recipe
1 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup sugar
zest of 1 lemon
lemon essential oil (optional)
Method – mix all the ingredients together and store in an airtight jar.
Direction for use – apply all over the body (except the face) whilst in the shower. Rinse and then towel dry.
How easy is that!
A few things to note –
- Don’t warm the coconut oil as this will dissolve the sugar. If your coconut oil is solid, then let it naturally soften a little, it doesn’t need to be in a liquid form, and then mix the oil with the sugar.
- The larger the sugar grain, the stronger the scrub would be. For sensitive skin, go for a fine grain such as white table sugar.
- If you are making a small batch to use within one week, then you can add some lemon juice (1 tsp) for extra fragrance. In a larger batch to last longer, the lemon juice may encourage mould growth. Water (or in this case juice), is the ingredient that encourages bacterial growth. Any oil based product with no water should have a long shelf life without the need for preservatives.
You can add any essential oil of your choice. Some ideas include –
- Lavender for stress relief
- Grapefruit for cellulite
- Lemon, lime or orange for energy
If you enjoyed this recipe, then sign up for the newsletter so you can be the first to know when more natural skin care recipes are being released on the blog.