Grain-free pear and almond porridge
If you are looking for some new breakfast inspiration or a new take on traditional oats, then this grain-free pear and almond porridge is a recipe that’s worth trying out. Whilst I do love traditional oat-based porridge, it can be quite a carb-bomb in the morning that leaves you searching for a snack mid-morning.
Whilst most people are now appreciating the health benefits of eating a lower carbohydrate diet, we still want foods that offer that sense of warmth and comfort, especially on a cold morning.
This grain-free pear and almond porridge is a nutritional powerhouse to start your day with. You are getting all three macro’s – fat, protein and carbohydrates. You are getting a great fatty acid profile from the coconut, flaxseed, almonds and chia seeds. You will hit your fiber goals and your gut will love the nourishing flax and chia seeds that are soothing to the lining of the digestive system.
This recipe takes minutes to make, and like all the recipes that you will find here, they are easily adaptable to suit your tastes and nutritional requirements.
For those who are more keto or super low-carb, leave out the pear and add a little stevia for sweetness.
For my clients following the Metabolic Cure Program, leave out the pear if you are on a low carb day, or keep it in if you are on your low protein day.
For those plant loving vegans, switch out the milk for a plant-based milk.
I have included the Thermomix recipe, as well as the good ol’ stove top recipe.
- 3/4 C Milk (dairy, coconut or plant based)
- 6 Tbs shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 3 Tbs almonds (ground)
- 1 Tbs flaxseed (ground)
- 1 Tbs chia seed
- 1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1 pear, peel and chopped
- THERMOMIX VERSION
- If the almonds and flaxseeds are not already ground, place them in the mixing bowl and grind on speed 10 for 3 seconds, or until roughly ground.
- Place all the remaining ingredients into the mixing bowl. Cook for 5 min, 90 degrees on speed 1.
- STOVE TOP
- Place all the ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Heat over a medium heat and let it simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- To serve you can top it with some more chopped almonds, coconut yoghurt and raspberry chia jam. This is optional as its delicious all on its own.
- This recipe makes 1 large serve.