Haloumi Miso Salad. It’s summer time here and salads are a daily staple. I love a salad that is quick and easy to prepare. Many people complain that salads get boring, but it is so easy to mix up the ingredients and make an amazing dressing to give your typical salad a complete overhaul. Today, miso is the magic ingredient to add variety and flavour to your salad.
What I love about this salad is that you can enjoy it warm with the halloumi straight from the pan, or you can let it cool and enjoy it cold. When you feel like something warm for dinner on a hot summers night, but nothing that is too heavy, then this is a salad for you.
I have used miso paste as the base of the dressing. The miso paste that I used is a fermented brown rice miso, that is a mix if brown rice and soy. Whilst I am not a fan of soy products, fermented soy products like miso and tempeh are a nutritious addition to your diet as they have been prepared in a traditional way and you only ever eat a small amount of it. You can buy a tub of miso paste in the fridge section in your health food store. Look for an unpasteurized one as this has not been heat treated so all the beneficial bacteria are still alive and thriving.
- • 3 cups mixed salad leaves
- • 1/2 avocado diced
- • 1/2 cup snow peas thinly sliced
- • 150gm halloumi organic
- Miso Dressing
- • 2 tablespoons miso paste
- • 1 teaspoon lime juice
- • 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- • pinch coconut sugar
- • 1 tablespoon sesame or coconut oil
- Toss all of the salad ingredients together and then divide into serving plates.
- Heat a fry pan. Slice the halloumi into strips and place in the heated fry pan. Cook for a few minutes until they are golden on each side.
- Layer the halloumi over the salad
- Mix all of the miso dressing ingredients together. If it is too thick add a little extra water or oil to thin it out.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad