Are you loving coconut oil and want to find some other ways to include it in your diet? Are you trying to increase the healthy fat content of your diet? Well here is an easy and delicious way to do this.
Now these little gems are something that I like to call a functional food.
Whilst they do serve as a yummy snack, I prescribe these Lemon Coconut Drops for people who need to increase the fat content in their diet.
So, who needs more fat in their diet? EVERYONE…
During the consultations process in my Manly naturopathic clinic, I go over my clients diets in detail. One of the common things that I see is that most people are deficient in healthy fat. Now, they may not be deficient in fat, but deficient in HEALTHY FAT. By this I mean deficient in quality saturated fat, quality monounsaturated fat and omega-3 fatty acids.
On the flip side, they are consuming plenty of inflammatory oils from refined vegetable seed sources such as canola, safflower, sunflower, corn and soy. As mentioned, these oils cause inflammatory actions in the body, and in the briefest summary ever, inflammation is at the root of almost all modern day chronic diseases.
Now, back to the healthy oils. We need saturated fats for the formation of hormones, absorption of vitamins A, D, E and K, for healthy cell membranes and the list goes on. For more information on fats, jump over to the download page and there is a great handout for you to print and keep on hand.
More specifically, when I put clients on a nutritional ketogenic diet for weight loss, we need to increase fat intake, especially from coconut, so these are a great snack. They are also great for kids whose diets are usually always deficient in healthy fat.
Another great things about these snacks, is that due to their fat content they will keep you full and won’t create a spike in blood sugar.
To make these drops, I use little chocolate mould trays so that they look nice and pretty. If you don’t any moulds you can just spread them out in little dollops on some grease proof paper.
- • 1/4 cup coconut oil
- • 2 teaspoons coconut cream
- • 1 teaspoon raw honey
- • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- • pinch lemon zest always choose organic when using the zest
- Place the coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan.
- Heat it over a medium heat to melt the coconut oil and honey.
- Stir in the coconut cream and lemon juice. Whisk quickly so that everything combines.
- Immediately pour the mixture into the moulds and sprinkle with the lemon zest.
- Place the moulds in the freezer straight away so that the drops set before separating.
- Once they are set, pop them out of the moulds and store them in a glass jar in the fridge.