This fresh salad is perfect on it’s own or as a side dish to suit any meat or seafood. Make a big batch and enjoy it for lunch tomorrow too.
- ½ C Quinoa white or red
- 1 Lebanese Cucumber diced
- 150 gm Cherry Tomatoes halved
- ¼ Red Onion diced
- 2/3 C Fresh Parsley chopped
- ½ C Fresh Mint chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic crushed
- 2 Shallots thinly sliced
- ¼ C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup chickpeas drained
- Rinse quinoa very well under running water. This is an important step as it removes the saponins that coat the seed, which can make it hard to digest. Removing the saponins will improve the taste of the quinoa.
- Place in a saucepan with 1 C water and a dash of salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Let it cook for around 10 minutes, or until it is tender. Remove from saucepan, rinse and drain, then fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl combine the cucumber, tomato, onion, shallots, parsley, mint, chickpeas, and cooled quinoa.
- For the dressing combine the olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.
- Stir together, and then drizzle over the salad. Season with salt and pepper.
Image Source – peasandcrayons.com