This dish is packed with fresh seasonal vegetables and is topped with a little steak for your protein intake. Feta is included in this salad, which is an optional addition. For those avoiding dairy, feta can often be well tolerated as is contains very little lactose, making it easy to digest. A small crumbling of feta can add a zesty flavour to this dish. A dairy-free alternative is cashew cheese which is readily available from your health food store. Cashew cheese is fermented from cashew nuts, so it is loaded with beneficial bacteria to support your gut health.
Steak Skirt with Rocket and Feta Salad
- 350 gm skirt steak
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup feta (goat/sheep/cow) cashew cheese as non-dairy option
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs chives
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp honey
- Heat a frying pan with olive oil, or you can use the grill. Season the steak with a little sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.Cook the steak for 4-6 minutes on each side, turning it only once.Once cooked, transfer it to a plate and let it rest for 5 minutes.Meanwhile, toss together the rocket, tomato, onion and feta.Slice the steak and place on top of the salad.Whisk together the chives, olive oil, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and honey.Drizzle the dressing over the salad.