I don’t know what I would do without my vegetable spiralizer. This handy and inexpensive kitchen tool opens up a world of vegetable noodles. For those who are ditching grains from their diet, or are just trying to remove gluten based products, having vegetable noodles is an exciting option to incorporate into your menu.
This Warm Zucchini Salad is a dish that can be enjoyed warm on those cooler days, or cool and fresh on a summers day.
- • 150 gm tuna if from a can, ensure it is pole caught and in springwater
- • 1 zucchini large
- • 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes cut in half
- • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese freshly shaved – optional
- • 1/4 cup basil fresh, chopped
- • black pepper freshly cracked
- Bring the kettle to the boil.
- Trim the ends off the zucchini. Place it in your spiralizer and slice the zucchini into noodle length shapes. If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can slice the zucchini with a mandolin slice or vegetable peeler into strips and then slice with a knife into noodle shaped strips.
- Place the zucchini noodles into a bowl and cover them with boiling water. Let the noodles steep in the boiling water for around 5 minutes, or until they are tender and warm.
- Once the noodles are tender strain them from the water and give them a gentle squeeze with a clean cloth to remove excess water.
- Meanwhile, drain the tuna from the liquid. In a large bowl add the tuna, tomatoes, parmesan, basil and zucchini noodles.
- Gently toss together so that the ingredients are well combined and the parmesan starts to melt a little.
- Season with freshly cracked black pepper to tastes. Divide into two serving bowls.